Spocket is revolutionizing the world of ecommerce as we know it today. Because of Spocket, a mom from the United Kingdom or a teacher from Saudi Arabia can start their businesses with our platform.
At Spocket, we are on a mission to empower millions of online entrepreneurs. This is why we wake up every day. Today, Spocket enables over 50,000 entrepreneurs across five continents to launch and scale their online stores.
On the outside, we’re building something life-changing for entrepreneurs. Helping them achieve their goals is why we’re all here. Changing an entire industry isn’t always a straight path forward, but it’s an experience unlike anything else. On the inside, we are a fun and passionate group of people striving to build a world-class culture of freedom and responsibility.
We are looking for a Senior Director of Engineering who will own Spocket’s engineering team and build a strong engineering culture at Spocket. You will mentor existing engineers while growing a team of talented architects and engineers. You will be responsible for high reliability, low latency full-stack software, beautiful and functional interfaces across mobile and web apps, and fast feature development combined with rigorous experimentation. You will be self-motivated, a team player partnering with product management and other teams across the organization to contribute to the overall business objectives of the Spocket.
Please note that this person will need to be based in Vancouver.
You’re excited about the role because you will…
- Enable the Engineering team to deliver outstanding value to the business by ensuring operational excellence at every level.
- Lead the technical vision and ensure excellent technical and architectural decision-making across the Engineering team.
- Evaluate third party products and make build/buy decisions for some parts of the solution.
- Build high-level Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) within the context of the entire Engineering organization.
- Recruit world-class engineering talent with deliberate and effective hiring strategies
- Ensure well-defined career paths and growth opportunities for every engineer and exceptional coaching to the Engineering team.
- Work with stakeholders across the company to ensure that engineering is moving in lockstep with the business.
- Build and maintain a culture of speed, excellence, collaboration, mentorship, and open feedback in engineering.
We’re excited to have you because you have…
- 5+ years of experience in a technical leadership role at a SaaS marketplace platform, high-volume, or retail e-commerce (or similar) company.
- 10+ years of experience in overall software engineering design, distributed systems, and development experience.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
- Strong experience working with cross-functional teams such as product managers, business users, architects, UX/design, engineering, QA, release teams to build and enhance large scale platforms.
- Preference for fast-paced environments with tight feedback loops and continuous delivery of measurable results for both users and the business.
- Experience with capacity planning, scalability, performance, load testing.
- A robust data-driven approach, a sense of ownership, and the ability to inspire and motivate the team towards specific goals.
- Bonus point for - Strong track record of building, scaling, and maturing engineering teams and infrastructure in a startup environment.
You’re excited about joining us because...
- We take care of our teammates. This is a unique opportunity to join a rapidly growing technology startup, and taking care of our team on this journey is a priority.
- We have curated a mission-driven workplace in which we believe in a positive and supportive team.
- We offer all teammates the opportunity to provide insights on strategy and improve processes across the business.
- You are eager to learn more about the fast-growing e-commerce industry.
- We have an excellent and easily accessible office in Yaletown with snacks and fun people.
- We love hanging out. A team that has fun together stays together!
- We offer benefits so you can focus on building a fantastic company!